Skip to main content

Pear Crisp

I made an awesome discovery at Winco yesterday. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour! No joke! On the back of the package is a recipe for pie crust! I will be baking a pie crust soon, but to tide us over I tried out this little gem of a recipe with all those pears we got from Bountiful Baskets.

I got the base recipe from a Weight Watchers cook book. I halved the recipe to match the number of pears I had. I substituted honey for the sugar. I didn’t measure, it, I just drizzled honey when sugar was called for. I used the whole wheat pastry flour in place of the white flour.


For those of you counting calories, I have calculated the nutrition information using the changes I made. The recipe makes 8 servings.


Calories: 140, Fat: 4.5g, Carbs: 26.7


Pear Crisp

3 pounds of pears, pealed and sliced

½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

½ Cup quick-oats or old-fashioned rolled oats

½ Cup sugar

1 Teaspoon cinnamon

½ Teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 Teaspoon salt

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, diced

1 Teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Preheat the oven to 375 F Spray a 7 x 11-inch backing dish with nonstick spray.


2. To make the topping, combine the ½ cup flour, the oats, ¼ cup of the sugar, ¼ teaspoon of the cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of the ginger, and the salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and pinch with your fingers to form coarse crumbs. Add the water and firmly press the mixture to form lumps.


3, To make the filling, combine the pears, the remaining ¼ cup sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, the remaining ¾ teaspoon, mix well. Transfer to the baking dish. Sprinkle the topping over the filling. Bake until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden, 55-60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Note: This crisp is just as delicious if you us golden Delicious apples-and try substituting ground allspice for the ginger.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutty Berry Smoothie

Sorry. . . again. . . I don’t measure! Put into the Magic Bullet: Sugar free, low fat vanilla yogurt Milk Frozen mixed berries 5-10 whole blanched unsalted almonds Blend until smooth

Apricot and Nutmeg Smoothie

Tip for blending frozen fruit: I love how frozen fruit gives a smoothie that thick, cool texture, but hate when I end up with bits of frozen chunks that were just to hard to blend. I have found a simple solution. While I am going through my morning routine and I know I am about five minutes away from breakfast, I pull out my frozen fruit and put it in to my blender cup with the amount of milk I am going to use for my smoothie. I let it sit there while I finish up with my hair and make up. By the time I blend my smoothie it is soft enough that I don’t end up with big frozen chunks, but still frozen enough that I get that smooth, thick texture I love! I made this smoothie this morning. We have an over abundance of apricots at out parents house and I froze bags and bags of them! This smoothie turned out to be surprisingly tasty! Sugar-free low fat yogurt Milk Frozen Apricots A dash of nutmeg Blend until smooth and frothy.