Skip to main content

Ginger Chicken with Almonds

I found this recipe on a blog that is quickly becoming my favorite place for recipes, SimplyRecipes.com. I have listed the recipe here exactly the way I found it on the blog, but I made some changes when I cooked it. I used green onions instead of scallions and mango salsa instead of mango chutney (partly because that is what I had in the frig and because I have no idea what chutney is. I would love it if one of you enlightened me!) I also forgot to put the almonds on. . . I had them but gobbled this up before I even remembered to sprinkle them on!

Anyway, I loved this dish. It is delicious and easy to make. Most of the prep time was in preparing the chicken and the ginger. I had to do some research on-line about how to prepare ginger since I have never done it before, but it wasn’t too difficult. I paired the finished dish with brown rice. It had such a nice sauce to it, I think this would be good over whole wheat pasta as well.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 ½ - 2 Lbs total)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger plus ¼ cup julienned fresh ginger
4 teaspoons grapeseed or other high flash point oil such as canola oil
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 large scallions (or 6 small) trimmed
½ cup mango chutney, large pieces chopped
¼ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted

1. Slice chicken crosswise in ½ inch thick pieces. Toss with ground coriander, grated ginger, 2 teaspoons oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Marinate at room temperature 15 minutes.
2. Thinly slice white parts of scallions. Julienne green parts; set aside.
3. Stir together chutney, broth, and garlic in small bowl
4. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch non stick skillet (or wok) over medium-heat. Add scallion whites and julienned ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry until thoroughly cooked, 4 to 6 minutes. Add scallion greens and chutney mixture; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Transfer to shallow bowls with hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with toasted almond slices and serve.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

Misty and I are part of a food co-op. This week we got a big bunch of brussel sprouts (yuck!) I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. It was actually pretty good! I exchanged the bacon for turkey bacon and cooked it in a little canola oil before continuing on with the rest of the ingredients. My brussel sprouts may have been a bit larger then usual. It took 25 minutes to cook them until they were soft enough to eat. Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Ingredients 1/2 pound bacon, diced 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons butter 1/4 onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced salt and black pepper to taste 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half 2 cups chicken stock Directions 1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, but not crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the skillet. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the baco

Nutty Berry Smoothie

Sorry. . . again. . . I don’t measure! Put into the Magic Bullet: Sugar free, low fat vanilla yogurt Milk Frozen mixed berries 5-10 whole blanched unsalted almonds Blend until smooth