Skip to main content

Spicy Peanut Chicken

This recipe comes from the cookbook, “500 Low-Carb Recipes.” I loved the flavor and it was super easy to make. I left out the jalapeno so it was not very spicy (just the way I like it!) The peanut flavor was a little light and I would probably add more peanut butter next time. I used fresh tomatos instead of canned. I added a little chicken broth to the sauce to compensate for the lack of moisture from not using the canned tomatoes. I sliced the chicken into strips. The sauce thickened after cooling for a few minutes. I served the dish over whole wheat pasta.

1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 to 3 tablespoons olive or peanut oil for sautéing
½ smallish onion thinly sliced
1 can (14 ½ ounce) diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh jalapeno, cut in half and seeded

On a saucer or plate, stir the cumin and cinnamon together, then rub into both sides of chicken breasts.

Put 2 to 3 tablespoons or oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat, and add the chicken and sliced onions. Brown the chicken a bit on both sides.

While that’s happening, put all the liquid and half the tomatoes from the can of tomatoes in a blender or food processor, along with the peanut butter, lemon juice, garlic, and jalapeno. Blend or process until smooth.

Pour this rather thick sauce over the chicken (which you’ve turned at least once by now) add the rest of the canned tomatoes, cover, turn the burner to Low, and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pressure Cooker Low Carb Porcupine Meatballs

One of my favorite childhood dinners was porcupine meatballs and I have been itching to make them since Matthew and Tassie bought me a pressure cooker!  This is my low carb version.  I have added the original recipe link below but I made some changes. . . and made it work with my pressure cooker. For the meatballs: 1 pound ground beef 1/2 brown rice (I wonder if quinoa would work) 1 large egg 2 tablespoons parsley 1/4 cup onion 1 clove garlic 1 teaspoon chili powder 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper For the sauce: 1/2 cup yellow onion 1 clove garlic 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon basil  1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 cup water 1 tablespoon parsley 1/2 cup brown rice Instructions: 1. Mix ground beef, rice, egg, parsley, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano,

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

Misty and I are part of a food co-op. This week we got a big bunch of brussel sprouts (yuck!) I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. It was actually pretty good! I exchanged the bacon for turkey bacon and cooked it in a little canola oil before continuing on with the rest of the ingredients. My brussel sprouts may have been a bit larger then usual. It took 25 minutes to cook them until they were soft enough to eat. Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Ingredients 1/2 pound bacon, diced 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons butter 1/4 onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced salt and black pepper to taste 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half 2 cups chicken stock Directions 1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, but not crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the skillet. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the baco